Early Signs of Autumn in the Valley
BY BILL RUBIN, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
A tired lawn, eight-foot high field corn, football training camps, and receding lake levels all point to a fleeting summer in the St. Croix Valley. It’s been another good run for summer and many days of hot and humid weather remain. To most, Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer, meaning autumn is near. The 90ish days of September through November may be the best season in the St. Croix Valley.
The Saint Croix Valley Regional Tourism Alliance is a two-state resource serving the valley since 1994 in the promotion of tourist-related activities. According to lore, Alliance bylaw signatures were witnessed by Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson and Minnesota Governor Arne Carlson on a boat in the approximate middle of the St. Croix River. Both recognized the value of working together for the benefit of border communities from St. Croix Falls-Taylors Falls to Prescott-Hastings.
The Alliance publishes an annual visitor guide of activities, including arts and culture, bicycling, motorcycling, parks, and tours. Many of them are free. Others require the parting of a few dollars from a wallet or purse. A return on investment may include smiles, friendships, and memories.
Here’s a random list of Alliance member activities, akin to a Top 10 list, but skewed toward the Wisconsin side of the river.
1. Art on the Kinni (River Falls), September 8th (www.RiverFallsCAB.org)
2. Apple Splash Festival (Somerset) September 15-16 (www.SomersetChamber.org)
3. River Falls Bacon Bash (River Falls) September 15-16 (www.RiverFallsBaconBash.com)
4. New Richmond Heritage Days (New Richmond) September 21-23 (www.NewRichmondChamber.com)
5. Spirit of the St. Croix Art Festival (Hudson), September 22-23 (www.DiscoverHudsonWI.com)
6. Western Wisconsin Pottery Tour (River Falls), September 22-23 (www.WesternWisconsinPotteryTour.com)
7. Main Street Art Crawl (River Falls), October 19 (www.RiverFallsCAB.org)
8. Christmas Tour of Homes & Craft Sale (Hudson), December 16-18 (www.DiscoverHudsonWI.com)
9. Tie: River Dazzle (River Falls), November 23 (www.RFChamber.org); Hometown Holiday (New Richmond), November 29 (www.NewRIchmondChamber.com); and Candlelight Stroll (Hudson), November 30 (www.DiscoverHudsonWI.com)
10. Tie: Main Street restaurants, bars, wineries, and breweries-taprooms (every community). Dates are ongoing. Support independent business owners and entrepreneurs!
Mark your calendars early. Download your copy of the 2018 visitors guide from the Alliance website, www.saintcroixriver.com, under the “Welcome” tab. And enjoy autumn in the St. Croix Valley.